Subject: Re: [Leica] To M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:04:47 -0400

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:38:26 -0400, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Wait...Let me make sure that I get this right:
>
>Any opinion that this is not the greatest Leica product of all times, as
>opposed to being a disappointment because it didn't incorporate any
>generally available post-1970 technology, is sour grapes?
>
>Excuse me, Paul, but that statement is more than a little foolish.

OK, that last sentence was a little over the top.  However, I do think that
Leica did exactly what much of their customer base wanted and expected.  I
know it answered all my outstanding issues with the camera.  I couldn't
give a tinker's cuss about 1/250 sync - if I wanted to do daylight fill I
might use a different camera, but since I don't, it's a moot point for me.
I think the shutter speed dial actually turns in the right direction now.
I like the way the film loads.  I have a higher shutter speed on my F3, and
I think I've used it twice in the ten years I've had the thing. I'm happy I
don't have to worry about the reliability of a totally new shutter design.
Viewfinder flare has never been a big issue for me - I've seen it, but it's
never kept me from getting a shot.  I don't think there will be an M7bis
after Photokina - I think we all got trolled on that one.

For me, the M7 is *exactly* the camera I wanted, and I have the suspicion
that I'm not alone in that sentiment.

And "slam dunk" by my definition has as much to do with user acceptance
("know thy customers") as it has to do with technological superiority.
Betamax was NOT a slam-dunk, and neither was the M5.  The M6, by virtue of
being in a body that users would accept, was.

Paul

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (RE: [Leica] To M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG)