Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:56:48 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/02 10:09:40 AM, tim@KairosPhoto.com writes:

<< As this Privacy Act is only in force in parts of Canada right now, it is

going to be an interesting time to see what effect it has. There is a

general move in society (N America and Europe esp.)towards protection of

personal privacy and away from freedom of expression. The balance is

changing (cf the individual privacy/photography laws in various US States) >>

I don't know, it seems to me that a whole mix of things are happening....

on one hand there is a trend towards personal privacy from street
photographers, but in reality we're all increasingly (and seemingly willingly
)being surveillenced and photographed by cops, security agents, government
etc.

Whilst I wouldn't be too thrilled to see my fat arse up at someone's street
photo exhibition, I'm also troubled by the prospect that in the near future
every shot that includes people in is has to basically either be considered
"newsworthy" or be fake/staged--because in shots that are "set-up" you can at
least be sure that you obtain proper releases from all the parties in
question.

- -kim