Subject: Re: [Leica] development for scanning
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 17:40:20 -0400

At 05:08 PM 6/3/02 -0400, you wrote:
>But if the scanner can actually capture a wide dynamic range by scanning
>twice, it seems like you would ideally develop negatives longer and with a
>higher contrast so that you could extract the full range of what is possible
>in the film and then compress it down in Photoshop.

I'm not sure.  You want to be able to hold the details in the highlights
and shadows.  It's true that the film has more detail than you can get in
the wet darkroom but it is still possible to blow-out highlights or have
dense, unreadable shadows that even the scanner can't pull out if the
contrast is too high.  I haven't changed the way I develop my negatives
except to change to XTol when it came out.  I'm very pleased with the
results I'm getting from normal negatives and the LS-4000.  Most of my
negatives scan fine with one scan.  It's only ones with an extreme
difference in highlights and shadows that benefit from the two scans combined.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from: