Subject: Re: [Leica] Gree Leafe, late summer
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 09:42:36 -0700

Chandos Michael Brown showed:

> This image appeals to me:
 http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown/photography/New/fauxbride3.htm <<

Chandos,
Very well done as it illustrates.... "show no fear" shoot the scene because
you're motivated by it as a life moment.

I don't imagine you ran all the techie stuff through your head making an
analytical assessment of light ratios, detail in shadows verses highlights
and all that other stuff, expose for shadows develop for whatever before
trippin' the shutter. As these kinds of moments appear and it's camera to
eye, red lights on.... shoot! Then you look at it again for a split second
and decide it's cool and good. ;-)

And if it appeals to you, I can say unequivocally, it appeals to me as I
love the ambience feel captured in Leica fashion of available as you see it
lighting. Unfortunately what many don't understand is ..... capturing the
"feeling so often the key to a successful photograph."

While doing an assignment for a high end hideaway resort shooting by my
usual method, " if you can see it, shoot it" the concerned owner questioned
the AD. "Does this guy really know what he's doing? Where are all his lights
that other photographers have when they take pictures here?"  AD's response,
"Wait until you see his pictures and you'll understand why he doesn't use
all that light glitter stuff." And he smiled.

Returning a few days later with blow-ups, the owners were in awe of the
results, "My God this is the first time we've ever seen pictures
illustrating how we feel about our place! The evening look in the main
dining room is just as we feel it. And what it looks like as we see it every
time. Marvelous! You've captured our feelings. How did you do this?"

"Remember your question to Steve the art director? Did I know what I was
doing because I didn't have lights all over the place?"

"Yes and I still don't understand why you didn't."  "Well with all the
lighting it screws-up what you feel and see and to capture the mood of the
establishment. I don't use lights other than what you see every day and
night."Besides I'm a lazy photographer and hate carrying all that extra junk
around." And smiled. :-)

And they became a client because of capturing the "feel" and not making it
look all antiseptic clean and crispy sharp unreal lit all over the place.

Mood sells folks. And Chandos, that's exactly what you captured, mood and
feeling of location not only in this one, but in many of your previous
postings.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant