Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 22: Amsterdam streets
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 08:49:01 -0700

>>> Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>
> > On Sunday the 26th of May the Dutch and Belgian LUG contingent (plus
> > yours truly) met in Amsterdam to host Tom and Tuulikki Abrahamsson for a
> > day. Of course our Leicas saw significant action despite frequent rain
> > spells, and my PAW for this week are two street scenes from Amsterdam.
> >
> > First, this is how many Dutch children travel, although I have not often
> > seen two child seats like this:
> > http://www.wajsman.com/2002_22.jpg
> > (Leica M6, 35mm Summilux, Ilford Delta 100)

Hi Nathan,
Action at it's best! This is one of those kid scenes we see and say, "look
at that if only I was quicker" etc etc. Excuses excuses.  However, nice to
se you have a solid trigger finger and high speed re-flexes as you've
illustrated once again. :-)

> > The alternate is a scene I happened upon. The taxi driver is arguing
> > with the cop, I guess to spare him a ticket for whatever offense he had
> > committed. The big guy on the side came up to me immediately after I
> > took the picture and started objecting to me. But by than the silver
> > halides had already been hit by the light...<<<

My shooting method is always try and work with the following:  "Light -
Eyes - Action." And right here is an excellent example of that. Your good
fortune was soft light, hence no black shadows to screw it up. Eyes! Look at
the eye contact with the police officer and also the person on the left
eyeline is right on the mark, even though the face is somewhat silhouette
you can see the eyes are right to the action.

And the third, "Action!" Right on the mark perfect! The hands and
expression!!! Perfect Action moment . Couldn't be better..

No we don't need any more competition in the pro field, so stay where you
are. ;-) Well done mon ami.:-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant