Subject: [Leica] new user
From: "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:01:20 -0500

Hello all from a new LUGer.  My photo 101 instructor from 15 years ago was a
Leica fan, and after starting back up with photography 2 years ago I've sold
all of my SLR gear in favor of a rangefinder and have a few questions.  I
purchased the new Voigtlander Bessa R2 with 15, 35 and 90mm lenses, planning
on using the 35 as my "normal" lens.  But I'm having difficulty visualizing
the entire 35mm frameline with my glasses on.  A 50mm lens seems more
appropriate on this body as a "normal", and I'm considering splurging on a
50/2 Summarit and getting an older Leica M to mount the 35mm on.  This may
be more than I'm willing to do, but if I do decide to do that, what is a
good choice in Leica bodies to view a 35mm frameline while wearing glasses?
I wouldn't really need a TLR meter, I don't think.

Also, and I know these threads have gone through the list before but I have
trouble finding just what I want in the archives, what are your favorite
emulsions for scanning (I'm looking for B&W and color negs; I seem to scan
chromes fine enough).  Bulk rolling and developing my own B&W film would be
desirable, if that influences your answers.  I'm not planning on building a
darkroom, so all of my printing will be digital with an Epson 2450 scanner
and Epson Photo 870 printer.

Thanks,

Tom Smart
http://www.sleepytom.com/photo/ShowPic.asp?Picture=../images/2450-01/med/dri
nk.jpg
(an initial attempt with my new setup and the super wide lens)

Replies: Reply from Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] new user)
Message from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Leica, medium format, and good enough)
Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Leica, medium format, and good enough)