Subject: [Leica] Digilux 1 does a Hat Trick :-(
From: DBaker9128@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:54:02 EDT

Hi LUG
Well, this is the third poor review in as many weeks that I have read on the
Panasonic/Leica Digilux 1. I was very high on this camera and the
Leica/Panasonic partnership but there is definitely trouble in River City.
The latest review by ExtremeTech on the Digilux1 concludes with the statement:

"When you add it all up--the use of SD memory, the invisible LCD screen, and
the disappointing picture quality--it's impossible to justify the Digilux I's
$900 price tag, especially when there are superior cameras that cost half as
much. It's possible that Leica and Panasonic may be able to salvage an
otherwise excellent design with a quieter image sensor and a brighter LCD,
but we can't recommend the Digilux I at this time."

See: http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a=27323,00.asp

BTW, Leica's old digital partner Fuji is producing some fine products now,
see the earlier review on the FujiFilm FinePix S602Z.

Doug from Tumwater