Subject: RE: [Leica] Darkroom in a manufactured home
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 14:01:31 +1000

>Time to pull on my flame-retardant long-johns...
>
>It's not my cup of Xtol, but I can certainly understand your wanting to
>develop a set up that will allow you to process your own film...but why in
>God's green doublewide anyone in his or her right mind would chose this
>point in the history of photography to invest in a wet printing set up is
>beyond me. Sure, if you've already got the darkroom and are already
>printing, I can understanding -sort of - continuing with it, given how hard
>old habits die.....but...
>
>Get yourself a good fast Windows machine - or Mac G4 - with as many gigs of
>storage as you can possibly afford, a good film scanner, and an Epson 1280
>and Piezo B&W software and ink for quadtone printing and go to town....
>
>B. D.

Oh I have to wade in here. There is nothing "wrong" with wanting to
do darkroom work. I have images submitted from all over the globe now
for FOM2, and the digital images are fine, but still not quite as
good as the b/w silver/wet process. Ok I'll take good out and replace
it with different. Both media give lovely images, but there is a
difference in the final product -- as I believe there should be, and
it is not impossible to think that "some" may prefer the analog
result.

Having said that, the thrill of an image emerging from the process,
the feeling of hard work and achievement, and the chance to get away
from these "bloody" monitors once in a while are all good and sound
enough reasons for doing traditional work. You might as well say why
use paint any more. BD for you the end result may be all that counts,
for others, the process might be important, and for others, the
"craft" of printing may be the desire.

In answer to the original questions. I have had my d/room set up for
about a year. I use the jobo for everything. It sits in a corner with
exhaust fans above it and chemical smells seem not to be a problem.
Using the jobo gives me great consistency. I probably waste some
chemistry, but then I've always wasted chemistry and paper through
low output and trial and frequent errors, so its not big deal. I make
up for it by buying bulk to keep the cost per "slug" lower. I like
the recommendation of the slot processor even though I've never used
one -- trays do take a lot of space, and the jobo makes processing a
bit slower, but more consistent. I've just got a nova print washer,
and it looks good, I wouldn't mind trying the slot processors for
small amounts of chemistry etc good thought.

In all the years I've used d/rooms, the most important features were:
good storage, dust free. a good dry area away from the chemicals,
plenty of desk top space, and a good double kitchen sink. Keeping the
light out is another fine addition ;-)
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com