Subject: Re: [Leica] LTM slow loading
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 23:27:29 -0400

Henning Wulff wrote:

An M3 loads like a screwmount camera, except you don't have to trim
the leader, and you get to look at what's happening. M4 through M7
(with minor variations with the M5) is basically drop the film in
with the leader across to the tulip, make sure the film is pushed up
to the sprockets, close it up and take pictures.

To which I reply:

	How do you get the film to land across the sprockets without endless fiddling? On the M3, the film always gets caught on the
rails or something else in the film path, maybe the rectangle in which the shutter curtains sit, maybe the frame around the back
door. On the M6, either the leader gets cocked towards the top of the camera (and WAY out of the sprockets), or, like the M3,
the tongue gets hung up on something and doesn't go in quite far enough. Either way, the film doesn't engage the sprockets.
Either I fool (<== possibly the correct word <g>) with it before I put the baseplate on, or I remove the baseplate and do so
after I realize that once again the camera isn't loaded right.

	By contrast, I've NEVER, ever, in many rolls of film, had this problem with a screwmount camera. For me, it truly is a matter
of drop in film loading with them.

	I'd really like to know how to load the M's correctly. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

	Thanks.

					Howard Sanner
					flagstad@mindspring.com

 The fastest and most
foolproof (term used advisedly :-)) system I've ever run across. I've
used lots of screwmount Leicas, Nikons, Canons, Konicas,
Pentax,whatever, as well as Widelux and Horizon (now _there's_ a hard
to load camera!) and most every kind of MF setup. The M4-7 sytem is
the best. Thousands and thousands of rolls. About the only screw-up
I've managed is not closing the back fully before clamping on the
base :-(.

Replies: Reply from Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net> ([Leica] Re: LTM slow loading)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] LTM slow loading NOW...M6 piece of cake.)