Subject: Re: [Leica] LTM slow loading
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 23:25:32 -0700

>	I, for one, would be *really* grateful to anyone who could
>tell or show me how to load my M3 and M6 as slowly as I can load any
>of my screwmount Leicas. If they could do that, I'd be able to load
>them several times faster, and with far fewer mis-loadings,
>than I can now. The M3 and M6, anyway, are the most fiddly,
>miserable cameras to load I've ever experienced.
>
>	My first Leica was an M3. I thought it was an OK camera, but,
>frankly, no better than the Nikkormat FTn I've used since ca.
>1970. When I got my first screwmount Leica, a IIIc, I understood
>what all the fuss about Leicas was about.
>
>						Howard Sanner
>						flagstad@mindspring.com

Hmmmm....

An M3 loads like a screwmount camera, except you don't have to trim
the leader, and you get to look at what's happening. M4 through M7
(with minor variations with the M5) is basically drop the film in
with the leader across to the tulip, make sure the film is pushed up
to the sprockets, close it up and take pictures. The fastest and most
foolproof (term used advisedly :-)) system I've ever run across. I've
used lots of screwmount Leicas, Nikons, Canons, Konicas,
Pentax,whatever, as well as Widelux and Horizon (now _there's_ a hard
to load camera!) and most every kind of MF setup. The M4-7 sytem is
the best. Thousands and thousands of rolls. About the only screw-up
I've managed is not closing the back fully before clamping on the
base :-(.

I use EIR film in an M4 that I've had for over 30 years, and that has
to be loaded in the dark. No problem; never a misload and no slower
than if I could see. Less problem than loading a modern SLR or P&S,
as you don't have the film bowing out and buckling as you try to
close the back. As much as I like the Hexar, loading is a little bit
fussier and less certain than with the M6's. At least it tells you
when you haven't done it right.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design