Subject: RE: [Leica] How does the Leica R8 calculate exposure in matrix metering mode?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:27:37 -0700

At 2:14 PM -0400 5/24/02, B. D. Colen wrote:
>I'm always amused by the concept of bracketing - except for 'trees and
>rocks' work. What happened to the 'decisive moment?' If one brackets when
>shooting anything involving motion or action - including portraiture where
>the subject is sitting and 'posing,' no two exposures will ever capture
>absolutely identical images - and I suggest that those of you whom I sure
>will doubt this look at a high-speed action sequence and consider how much
>change each frame, shot at say 8-10 fps, records. Expressions change,
>eyebrows move, etc. etc....so while bracketing is great when you're using a
>tripod to shoot a giant redwood on a windless day, using bracketing with
>matrix or any other form of metering may insure that you will have at least
>one correctly exposed frame out of three, it never insures that you have the
>right frame correctly exposed.
>
>BTW - Nikon specifically recommends NOT using matrix metering in manual
>mode, as they argue that your deciding to override the 30,000 exposures in
>the camera's computer defeats the point of matrix metering.....I'm not
>defending this position, just passing it along..;-)
>
>B. D.

Exactly. How can you effectively 'override' if you don't know what
compensations the computer made? If I use matrix, it's for the full
automation; if I want to take control, then I use averaging, narrow
angle or spot. Then I can effectively decide how to adjust exposure.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com