Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 23:13:46 -0400

	Sincere thanks to those who responded. However, I still have questions.

	The technique of asking and waiting around till the subjects start ignoring you again is fine as far as it goes, and seems well
suited to when one is hired to take pictures or for situations, like the one Aaron documented, where the phjotographer is going
to hang out in one place for a while. However, how do you apply this to the oft-touted street photography, where whatever you're
trying to capture may disappear quickly?

	Here are two real examples. One day when walking back to the office from the film lab, I happened upon a mason striking the
mortar between the bricks. Since I had a Leica around my neck, I thought This is a perfect opportunity to try to catch some
decisive moments. So I asked him if I could take his picture. He gave me an unequivocal No.

	Last week while waiting for the subway, I saw a young couple embracing/borderline making out. It would have been a great
picture. However, had I asked them (I didn't, since all the cameras were at home), and even if they'd said OK, I think the mood
would have disappeared.

	So what does one do in such cases? Does one snap away and hope the subject doesn't brain him? Does he ask and hope the subject
doesn't become so self concious that the shot is ruined?

	Again, thanks for all suggestions. This is a kind of photography at which I'd like to improve. I have only one way to go.

	Here are some links to my attempts at this sort of thing:

http://www.mindspring.com/~flagstad/jpg/catract1.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~flagstad/jpg/catract2.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~flagstad/jpg/aftermath/capnew03.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~flagstad/jpg/aftermath/capstep3.jpg

	All were taken with a screwmount Leica, the first two with a 35mm f/3.5 Elmar & VIOOH finder, the last two with a 50mm f/3.5
Elmar.

					Howard Sanner
					flagstad@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment)