Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 16:44:58 +0200

Hi Howard,

In general, as far as I know in most jurisdictions there is no legal prohibition against photographing strangers in public places. Hence,
the issues are moral and practical, and it is in that vein that I address your two examples.

>         Here are two real examples. One day when walking back to the office from the film lab, I happened upon a mason striking the
> mortar between the bricks. Since I had a Leica around my neck, I thought This is a perfect opportunity to try to catch some
> decisive moments. So I asked him if I could take his picture. He gave me an unequivocal No.

In this case I think that you did right in asking, since the guy was probably not going away right then and there, and by having his
permission you would be free to move around him while he worked, getting closer, choosing the best angle etc., all of which would give you
a better picture than just a quick snap. The fact that he said NO is just bad luck.

>         Last week while waiting for the subway, I saw a young couple embracing/borderline making out. It would have been a great
> picture. However, had I asked them (I didn't, since all the cameras were at home), and even if they'd said OK, I think the mood
> would have disappeared.

In this situation asking is simply not practical, and I just snap away. Sometimes one or both of the couple become aware of it, but I have
never experienced any hostility in such situations. As you say, it would be kind of weird to interrupt a kissing couple with, "Would you
mind if I take some pictures? Just ignore me, please carry on...".

The guiding principle should be common sense. If you walk into a bikers bar with lots of big guys wearing gang logos on their backs, it is
probably not wise to start taking pictures, unless you have been frequenting the bar for months and the people know you. But a kissing
couple on a subway station is fair game. Clearly when you are on public transport there is no expectation of privacy.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland