Subject: Re: [Leica] digital and consumers
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:53:15 -0400

But then this misses an important point too, Don....A digital P&S allows
today's casual snapshooters to do what generations of casual - and all too
annoying - slide shooters have done: shoot hundreds, thousands, of mundane,
boring images of vacations, kids graduations, "foreigners," bring them home
and then  forget about them - except when they have a group of friends held
hostage at the point of a Scotch bottle when they haul out the projector and
send the friends right into deep coma.;-)

In the digital age there is no slide film to purchase, no projector to
purchse, no screen, no processing costs. Just digital images, stored on the
computer as tiny jpgs, and either put up on hideously boring websites -
or....brought out as slide shows for captive family members!!!!

So what's the difference? Except for cost? And don't start talking about the
amazing quality of those Leica lenses and Kodachrome, because in the first
place, no end of quality will save those crappy boring images so many folks
produce from being boring crappy from images. And, when shown on a good
monitor, those silly jpgs tend to look plenty bright and sharp. :-)

B. D.