Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and digital photography
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 21:26:31 -0400

At 02:55 PM 5/20/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Tina Manley wrote: And all of my gallery prints are printed on my Epsons.
>

>Tina:
>
>I am now the editor of my camera club's monthly newsletter. I use Pagemaker
>7.0, Adobe's Postscript fonts, and a new Hewlett Packard Laserjet 2200d to
>create and print those that are entirely black and white. I would like to
>put some of my M6 and R8 color slide scans and other members' on some of the
>pages in color-based issues. Each issue is 3-4 pages and 35 copies are
>mailed each month. Which Epson color printer would you recommended for
>printing nicely clean text and photos without breaking the bank re ink and
>paper? And which paper would you recommend for this purpose? Thanks, great
>photolady!
>
>Terry

Wow, Terry!  I'm not an Epson expert by any stretch of the definition!  I
have two Epson 3000's, one for archival color printing and one for
quad-black printing.  They are perfect for what I'm doing - fine art prints
for exhibition and sales.  But they would definitely not be the printers I
would choose for a newsletter.  They are big, heavy, slow and don't do type
that well.  The newer Epson printers are much better with text and with
accurate color.  If you don't need archival or the ability to print very
large, you can go with a much cheaper printer.  I would choose the newest
Epson that will print the size that you need for your newsletter.  I like
the Epson Archival Matte paper, but then again, you won't need archival for
the newsletter, so I would choose any Epson paper that is the weight and
texture that you need for the newsletter.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the newer Epsons.  If you want
to save money, even an older Epson that has been refurbished would probably
do the job.  Epson is very good about replacing printers that you are not
satisfied for any reason.  I've never had a problem with any of mine, but
others on the Epson e-mail lists have been very satisfied with Epson's service.

Good luck!  I'd love to see one of the newsletters when you get it printed.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from: