Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica and digital photography
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:18:23 -0700

On 5/20/02 Austin Franklin  wrote:

>The computer requirements for digital imaging are FAR different than they
>are for sending and receiving email.  If you plan on doing digital imaging,
>you more or less want to get PhotoShop (a multi-hundred dollar or so program
>in and of it self) or something of that ilk, you need a reasonably fast
>computer, with a decent amount of memory and disk space.  To store you
>digital images you need a CD burner (or other suitable storage device).
>Again, vastly different requirements than for email.

An G4 iMac meets these specifications just fine. Doesn't have Photoshop but it
does have iPhoto which handles downloading, sorting and printing of digital
photos from a wide variet of sources. Also has a built-in CD burner. Only thing
missing is a printer. Adding a desktop scanner for prints will probably get the
user a version of Photoshop Elements to handle the image manipulation needs that
iPhoto doesn't have or there is Graphic Converter which has some image
manipulation facilities and costs like $35 shareware.

Later the user can upgrade to a version of Photoshop if needed.

There IS a learning curve for printing digital photos. But the folks I know who
are doing it on a Joe-snapshot basis seem to really enjoy messing with the
software and a vast majority are successful at making good prints.

It's a lot cheaper and far less messy than having a darkroom and offers a lot
more control than sending rolls of film out to be processed. And the confidence
of shooting digital is enormous - all those photos don't have an incremental
cost. Toss out the ones you don't like, keep the ones you do. This is good
workflow.

Adam