Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and digital photography
From: "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:51:50 -0700

We are talking about a lower end consumer digital camera
here.  Most of them come bundled with an interface to the
computer and some rudimentary software that will get the job
done.  I agree that a CD burner or other storage device is
necessary.  But CD burners have come so far down in price
that they are easily affordable for most people.  And blank
CDs in this market are virtually free.  Putting the photos
on the web in places such as geocities is fairly easy, even
for people that don't know how to build a web site.

And look at the really positive things:

No more boring your "friends" and family with endless
unedited slide shows;
No more having to lug a heavy album of prints around to show
your "friends" and family pixes from your vacation;
Heck, Aunt Margaret, who lives 500 miles away, can look at
your pixes on your very own website;
And you can always burn copy CDs and mail them to everyone
for Christmas!

Austin Franklin writes:
| The computer requirements for digital imaging are FAR
different than they
| are for sending and receiving email.  If you plan on doing
digital imaging,
| you more or less want to get PhotoShop (a multi-hundred
dollar or so program
| in and of it self) or something of that ilk, you need a
reasonably fast
| computer, with a decent amount of memory and disk space.
To store you
| digital images you need a CD burner (or other suitable
storage device).
| Again, vastly different requirements than for email.
|
| Nothing straw about it!

Regards, Bill Larsen
Who is preparing his photo CDs for Christmas as we write ;-)