Subject: [Leica] Neopan 1600 + extol + 100 macro
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 12:48:03 -0700

Neopan 1600 + 100 macro + EXTOL 1:3 + 70 degrees + 12 minutes! Gentle
agitation first 30 seconds and every 30 seconds after until the end.

What a combination when using Leica glass under available existing light
conditions.

When Tmax 400 and it's attendant developer came on the market I switched
from Tri-x and Dektol 1:1 and after listening to Mark Rabiner and Tom
Abrahamsson I started to re-use tri-x with EXTOL although Tom tried to
convince me I should use Dektol. ;-)

In any event I wanted to use the 80-200 in the medical shooting and @ f 4.0
in some cases I just couldn't get a high enough success rate with shutter
speeds for the 200mm. I lost too many images at 1/15 at times, me shake or
subject movement.:-(

So I tried Neopan 1600 and EXTOL, but my developing method was creating
blocked highlights I couldn't get settled down to a nice print look. Then I
re-called Mark had been heavy duty into this film and processing, So with a
phone call he gave me the answer to what I now see as extremely fine looking
11X14  prints.

Not only that, but using the 100 macro with it's sharpness the images have a
unique look to them when you are working wide open or a stop down and the
background dropped out of focus and the "sharp part" ;-) looking like the
edge of a razor blade sharp!

Very cool look indeed. :-) Now next week will be 80-200 time! :-)

So Mark, thank you for your developing technique, you saved my day! :-).

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com> (Re: [Leica] Try again)