Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Neopan 1600 + extol + 100 macro
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 14:52:28 -0700

> >So Mark, thank you for your developing technique, you saved my day! :-).
> >
> >ted
>
> Jim Brick asked:
> So, what was it... ??? Enquiring minds want to know.  <<<

  I'm not going tell! ;-) So there.

OK OK I'll talk already!  I can feel the encoring minds bearing down on me.
:-)

neopan 1600... EXTOL dev. 1:3  @ 70 degrees. for 12 mins.

Agitate gently first 30 seconds and I inverted the tank gently twice each 30
sec. till time was up. And used Rapidfix etc...

In printing, sans filters, (if possible I like to print without filters) on
Ilford Multigrade IV Pearl Surface and as beautiful as the prints are I felt
I'd tweak them with a 2 1/2 filter just to perk-up the blacks a touch.

However, Mark and I have discussed this and the next batch of 1600 will be
souped for 13 minutes to see if we can eliminate the filter.

But the above combination is quite interesting and very nearly grainless, OK
if you put your nose two inches away you'll see something. ;-) But generally
I'd say they're almost grainless compared to what I was getting at 1:1 at 75
in EXTOL before with my usual Tmax agitation methods.

And the prints are 11X14 we're using as work prints for the book selection.
There is very little blowing up sections as the frames are very nearly full
frame as I like to fill the frame as much as I can and maintain a credible
photograph.

Obviously it doesn't always come out that way. ;-)

But there isn't any question the above developing procedure creates
beautiful negatives that are a piece of cake to print.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "James A. Gatlin" <jagatlin@attbi.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Neopan 1600 + extol + 100 macro)