Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW week 19 Steve Barbour
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:34:03 -0700

Steve Barbour wrote & showed:

>>> Brittany's Swansong....
> > http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-27398.html
> M7    35mm pre ASPH     Tri X
> > a memory for a beautiful friend, patient, aspiring actress...<<<<

Hi Steve,
First class photograph and with your words makes it a far more telling
picture. Would one do anything different? Nope! As everything is right there
in the viewers face creating a very strong story telling photograph.

There are times as photographers we're confronted with emotional situations
before our cameras that after we're done it leaves us crying or completely
drained, as in my photography with the Chernobyl Children. And I'm sure in
your case similar situations some days.

But what it speaks of in your case when dealing with a child on a daily
basis, is your strength of character & person enabling you  to care for
children as a profession.

In my case at least I knew it wasn't going to be a lifetime, but it was day
after day of children in various states from the effects of the nuclear
disaster and treatments they were enduring. After weeks it became absolutely
so draining to a point, some days I had to leave off and go find a quiet
place where I could cry myself dry because I began to equate what I saw in
these children the fate of my grandchildren or worse, if ever there was a
nuclear war or a similar disaster in North America

Your ability to record some of the tender moments with your patients and to
share with the crew is admirable, as I see it using photography to make many
of us aware of the plight of children who require TLC.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] PAW week 19 Steve Barbour)