Subject: [Leica] Re: Doing your own color
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 15:33:19 -0700

At 10:28 AM 5/5/2002 -0700, Adam Bridge wrote:
>I find myself in the position where, for security reasons, I may have to
>develop
>my own color 35mm film. What's the learning curve like? I shoot all
>color-negative film.
>
>Thanks
>
>Adam

I process all of my everything. Today, it is sixteen rolls of E6, two rolls
of C41, and eight rolls of B&W.

The best kits are:

For C41 - Tetenal   "C-41 5 LITER KIT"

That's the exact name of it.  C-41 5 LITER KIT   My local dealer stocks it
as well as other Kodak and Tetenal kits. But after trying all of them, this
one is leaps and bounds better than the rest.

It is sooooo simple. Develop, Bleachfix, wash, Stabilize, hang to dry.

At 86 deg F (30 deg C)

Dev  -  8 min
Blix -  6 min
Wash -  6 min
Stab -  1 min

The stabilizer is basically photoflo with perhaps a hardener in it.

The kit is all liquid concentrates and the instructions tell you how to mix
any quantity for how ever many rolls you are doing. I mixed 300ml, from the
kit, this morning in order to process two rolls of 120 Portra 160VC. It is
super simple and the concentrates last many many many months after being
opened. And the chemicals are amazingly benign.

http://www.jobo-usa.com/products/chemc41.htm#C-41%205-Liter%20Kit

For E6 I use the Kodak "Single Use E6" kit, which is also a 5 liter kit,
all liquid, so that you may mix whatever quantity you wish. I mixed three
liters from the five liter kit this morning. This kit is made for one-shot use.

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/ti2443/ti2443.shtml

Jim

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> ([Leica] Re: PolaChrome)