Subject: [Leica] funding Christain or marxist charities
From: "Duane Birkey" <duanebirkey@mail.andinanet.net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:43:47 -0500

I suppose you want me to respond to the below...

I know of very few charities who are not somewhat religious in nature or
were not founded as such.  You should know that HCJB has recently received
and continue to receive funding from the World Health Organization, Swedish
and German Governments, American Airlines and many other secular foundations
and charities from countries around the world.   The main reason, they know
that the money they give goes for the purpose they intend it to go for....
not buying a BMW, a new TV or a family vacation to Europe for the heads of
the charity.

Yes, we are an evangelical mission...  yes we do have chaplains in our
hospitals and clinics..   But we have Romans Catholics, including nuns and
priests, Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, atheists and even a few Marxists who
come to our hospitals and clinics for treatment...  People receive help with
paying the medical bills based on ability to pay, not beliefs.... and none
of our expat missionaries (chaplains, doctors, surgeons, nurses or
administrators) receive one single cent from the hospital fees or money
donated to the hospital ministry.  (I don't either and my leicas were paid
for out of my own pocket)

If you want to fund a Marxist charity...  or an entirely secular charity...
it's your money...  I'd suggest you give it to who can best accomplish your
desires.

The irony is that the word Emanuel means more or less "God is with us"

Duane

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador
http://ecuadorphotos.tripod.com

I originally  wrote:

"And if you want to give money to Ecuadorian people who live in the Quito
Dump, communities who need potable water systems, people who have been
affected by massive flooding, landslides....  Mentally and physically
handicapped children and orphans... or poor patients who come to our
hospitals and can't afford medical treatment..... Well....  I can put you in
touch with the respective charities."

Emanuel Lowi responded

Sure, I'll donate plenty. As long as we aren't funding Christian-type
anti-Marxist missionary work at the same time.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal