Subject: [Leica] For better or for worse...creatively speaking
From: David Rodgers <davrod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:34:40 -0700

Neil

At 01:32 PM 4/30/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>The thing that's put me off buying
>digital is the fact that the whole camera will obsolete in a few years.

Valid point. But how much weight should that carry in a decision? New
devices come on the market all the time. We' tend to want the latest. Sales
and marketing dollars convince us that latest is the greatest. Granted,
newer is better for some things. But not for all things. If  newer was
always better this list probably wouldn't even exist.

A person can be just as creative with "obsolete" tools. Perhaps even more
creative.

Ten years from now it'll be hard to convince someone you're a fine art
photographer unless you're shooting film.

Ease of use can stifle creativity. What goes around comes around.

IMHO the vast majority of photograhy today is crap compared to 25 years
ago. We take thousands of times as many photographs. We publish them
moments after taking. But something's missing. Speed and quantity is not
synonymous with quality.

Dave

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] For better or for worse...creatively speaking)