Subject: Re: [Leica] Info on 50 F/2.0 collapsible
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:21:03 -0400

- --On Wednesday, April 24, 2002 09:16:39 AM -0400 Edward Caliguri
<caliguri@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:

> -Hi!
>
>     I have been given to 'evaluate' for a friend an older IIIg screw mount
> with a collapsible 50/f2.0 Leitz Sumicron lens (I assume it was the last
> before the rigid was made)---- I don't know much (anything really!) about
> the Leica screw mount lenses, however. Does anyone know about this lens,
> and where I can find some information on it? It's in great shape with an
> original  hood and all - almost perfect! I'm going to try it on my M6 with
> an adapter just to see what it can do!
> Thanks very much!

The 50mm collapsible Summicron was made in both screw and M mounts. It is
an excellent performer -- but probably not quite up to the later rigid
models. However, as with many things Leica, some of this is hair-splitting.
I've had one for years and have many tack-sharp enlargements from it. It
definitely has the Leica "glow" when used wide open.

The biggest problem with this lens is that many of them have developed haze
and/or fungus on the internal elements. The front element is also extremely
soft and, as a result, many have cleaning marks or worse. The haze can
generally be cleaned up by your favorite Leica repair-person and, if you
have an unscratched front element, count yourself lucky. Slap a filter on
it and don't clean it again!

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com