Subject: Re: [Leica] Info on 50 F/2.0 collapsible
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:44:25 -0400

- --On Wednesday, April 24, 2002 04:33:56 PM +0200 Nathan Wajsman
<wajsman@webshuttle.ch> wrote:

> Hi Edward,
>
> I recently bought just such a lens (albeit the M version) for my M3--the
> M3 is from 1959, the lens I bought from 1954, and they make a perfect
> couple. I have shot some Kodachrome and B&W with it, and my conclusion is
> that compared to my more modern Leica lenses the collapsible Summicron
> has markedly lower contrast (which I knew and which I find desireable
> since I anticipate using it in contrasty situations such as bars and
> other artificially-lit places, with fast, hence contrasty, film). The one
> disappointment is that the lens is extremely prone to flare when used
> outdoors on a sunny day. I shot some contre-jour images which are frankly
> not acceptable. Having said that, I did not use a lens hood, and with the
> sun behind me the images were fine. And the lens does make an extremely
> compact combination with the M3.

Nathan,

Mine had the same flare-prone symptoms until I had Sherry give it a good
cleaning. Now it's as contrasty as my later Summicrons. Are you sure yours
doesn't have some internal haze?

I agree it's a nice match on the M3.

Rolfe

- --