Subject: Re: [Leica] xtol help
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:08:11 -0400

- --On Monday, April 22, 2002 3:48 PM -0700 daniel@hotdogshark.com wrote:

> I just mixed up my second batch of xtol, the 1 litre variety, and i
> noticed that the "A" packet was moist and cakey in consistency. is this
> normal. I remember a discussion about using the 5 litre packs instead
> maybe i'll go check out the archives. I switched from using pmk and fx2
> and alls i can say is i wished i had made the jump sooner. The xtol seems
> to have much more wonderful midtones. I use it a 1:3.--daniel mcclenaghan

The 1 liter packages have apparently suffered from some kind of
inconsistency, severe enough that Kodak has stopped manufacturing and
shipping them. So, if you have one it is probably both old and possibly
problematic.

The short answer is that moist and cakey is NOT normal, so I would
definitely toss the batch. The five liter package is the only alternative
but if you dilute Xtol, as most of us do, it is really a lot of developer
to use up in 6 months -- at least for me.

The best strategy is to use a number of smaller glass bottles, since Xtol
keeps well in full bottles with no air. I use 5 one-liter bottles, but
others on the list go to more extreme measures.

As always, YMMV.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com