Subject: RE: [Leica] a few more pics
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:13:18 -0400

olivier nguyen <oliviertnguyen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ... closeup photo.  It look like I does not have enought depth.  what
> should I do to get total sharpness of the subject ?

Olivier, the math is simple.  closeup + hand-held = no depth of field.

No matter what closeup equipment you use, there's very limited depth of field unless you stop the lens down to a very small aperture.  Small aperture = slow shutter speed, which means tripod.  In some cases one can arrange the photo elements more-or-less in a plane but that can't always be done.  Using a small aperture, you'll need to be more aware of backgrounds and how they will appear at the smal aperture.  Use the camera's depth-of-field preview to see if the background areas become unacceptably busy or cluttered at the small aperture.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .