Subject: Re: [Leica] personal attacks
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:16:05 -0400

On 4/21/02 10:42 PM, "Brian Reid" <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:

>> But then we would argue about what justice really means and if peace for
>> one means peace for all and how do you define dignity and with which lens
>> should we photograph it.
>
> Good point. Nobody on a church list would ever admit in writing that they
> didn't know what justice meant or couldn't define dignity. This would just
> give us more nonsense to argue about.

At the risk of adding OT insult to injury, I was once kicked out of a church
discussion group for teenagers for asking awkward questions (as was my
friend Eddie). This was particularly ironic as we were probably among the
most devout people there and our questions reflected a struggle we were both
going through. Subsequently we made different choices about our faiths.

I think the LUG is no different now than at any time I've been reading it.

Funnily enough, the Streetphoto list has settled down into an almost
entirely flame-free mode now. It is not exactly noiseless but it has a
defined area of discussion which folks seem happy with. That is *also* true
of the LUG in my opinion. Folks talk about what they want to talk about. On
the LUG that happens to be a pretty wide remit.

One thing that has helped with Streetphoto, although I am still not
convinced it is an unmitigated good, is our weekly salon. For those of you
who are not familiar with the idea, the rules are here:

    http://www.cupidity.force9.co.uk/splistsalon.htm

We tend to get 15-30 entries a week. There's no copyright on the idea; if
Brian was cool with it for the LUG and folks here were interested then it
might be worth a try (presumably with some Leica-oriented stipulation).

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com