Subject: Re: [Leica] dodging & burning vs leicas
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:45:58 -0400

On 4/23/02 1:32 AM, "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> wrote:

> Why not have a landscape be as dramatic as possible?
>
> Unless you book is called "The Banal Landscape."
>>>>

> I recommend Hannah Arendt's "Ansel Adams in Yosemite: the Banality of
> Melodrama"? Unfortunately all known copies were recycled into paper cups by
> the Audubon Club Action Brigades.

I would certainly be interested in a book called THE BANAL LANDSCAPE.

My own landscapes merely aspire to banality.

Drama in the photographic landscape is too often the equivalent of so-called
'passion' in rock and roll, a synonym for bluster.

'The Banality of Melodrama' is also a wonderful title and something that we
screenwriters confront daily. Funnily enough the absolute *worst* melodrama
is written by writers who should know much better -- often very gifted
novelists making the transition to screenwriting. It is as if they are
paralysed by fear of not being commercial enough and so produce stuff which
is far *more* melodramatic than less talented but more experienced
screenwriters would produce.

I know two very good examples of this: one is detailed in William Goldman's
ADVENTURES IN THE SCREEN TRADE, the other I can't talk about but inquiring
minds might want to look up the writing credits for 1980s smash flop 'Saturn
3' for a hint.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com