Subject: [Leica] RE: Flying with film
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:36:03 -0700

At 15/04/02 , you wrote:
>Thanks, David - All good things to know...The only problem with buying film
>on site and getting it processed on site for paying jobs is not knowing
>where, having to pay much higher prices for the film, and not knowing squat
>about the folks doing the processing. The easy way around the processing
>problem - for now anyway - is to FedEx the film back to your regular
>lab...and, if one has enough time before the trip, you can also FedEx film,
>batteries, etc., ahead to your destination hotel.......unfortunately, I
>wasn't able to do that this time....but my first batch of film is already
>awair\ting FedEx pickup, and the next batches will go out tomorrow and Weds
>nights...
>
>B. D.

B.D.

I don't know about FedEx if they're using their own planes - though I would
think that airport security wouldn't let any baggage on any plane  without
X-raying it - if they have a luggage scanner at hand.

Certainly, when FedEx have a surfeit of shipments or ones to less common
destinations they (and all couriers) use commercial flights.  These
packages then go through the luggage scanners, if the airport has one, so ...

Even lowly Victoria, which has been safe until now, has a new CTX 5500
sitting in the passenger lobby, awaiting installation!  More airports are
getting 'em every day!

And I agree, processing is a problem.  I used a recommended lab in Bangkok,
and the results were poor. But this was only in the printing. The negatives
were fine and I am having the good'ns reprinted here.  Of course, if your
shooting chromes...

David Young        | Experience gained varies directly
Victoria, CANADA   | with equipment ruined.

Message from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: Subject: RE: [Leica] Flying with film)
Message from David Young <youngs@islandnet.com> ([Leica] RE: Flying with film)