Subject: [Leica] RE: Flying with film
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:45:47 -0700

On 15/04/02 , B.D. wrote:

>On Sept. 11 - Yes, that Sept. 11 - I was flying out of Glasgow to London on
>my way back to the US. I had about 30 rolls of exposed film and asked for
>hand inspection. NO WAY, said the security guy, because there was no leader
>protruding from the cassette. He didn't even want to discuss the issue. And
>this was hours BEFORE the first plane hit the Trade Towers.
>
>B. D.

For many years, B.D., many countries have not permitted hand inspection of
film.  Trying to get a hand inspection in the UK is impossible.

The problem place is Tokyo's Narita Airport.  If you have to change
terminals - as we did - they will x-ray your film twice, sometimes three
times within the terminal and within an hour! No possibility of hand
inspection - no matter what the speed!

Then BD said:

>Check the archives - because a week or two or three ago someone posted
>information about a warning from Kodak about new Xray technology that will
>wipe out just about any film. What I'm not clear on was whether it was just
>being used on checked baggage, or also applied to carry-on inspection.

The problem is with the new luggage scanners that use a high-energy (180kV)
source to better see what you've packed.  A single pass through one of
these will do more harm to your film than a dozen passes through a carry-on
luggage scanner. These new scanners, CTX 5000, CTX 5500 & LS3(can't
remember the makers names) are starting to turn up at airports everywhere.
The only good thing with these is the L3 style scanner. It uses a rotating
beam, so it fogs your film evenly!  The solution:  NEVER put film in your
checked luggage!

The max exposure of film to hand-baggage x-rays is 5 passes, so try to
demand hand inspections after 3! And remember, outside the US & Canada,
hand inspection is NOT a right. In many parts of the world your film gets
x-rayed or you don't fly. Simple. No?

The obvious solution?  Carry only small amounts of film with you, and buy
more at your destination. If possible, get it processed (at least get the
negs developed) there.

I did that on last months holiday to S.E. Asia and found discovered two
things. 1) Film of all types was readily available - if only in 36 exp
loads; and 2) it was considerably cheaper there than at home!

David Young        | Experience gained varies directly
Victoria, CANADA   | with equipment ruined.

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] RE: Flying with film)
Reply from David Young <youngs@islandnet.com> ([Leica] RE: Flying with film)
Message from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: Subject: RE: [Leica] Flying with film)