Subject: [Leica] Re: R5 Winder Question
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:58:13 -0700

At 15/04/02 , you wrote:
>Just got it (used) but cant figure out what the little button on the right
>rear surface is for. It's got a white dot next to it. Doesn't seem to push
>in, doesn't turn and doesn't pull out (unless I did't try hard enough).
>Don't want to force it so if anybody knows please let me know. The winder
>seems to be working the way it should.
>Always grateful,
>Mike Ginex

Hi Mike!

The "button" with the white dot next to it is not a switch. It is a plastic
cover.  If you gently pop it off, you'll find a multi-pin connector behind
it. This is where you connect the electric remote release or intervalometer.

Second point that you'll discover.  The winder stops at 36 exp, even if you
have enough film stock for one or two more.  With 24 exp rolls, it winds
until the end and then stops by blowing it's mind. Or at least, it's
circuit breaker.

On the front is a bar about 1/3" x 1" labeled "Motor Winder R".  Press on
the inside end of the bar and the battery pack will pop out one notch. (To
remove the pack, you must press the bar again - but that is not what we
want to do here.) Push the battery pack back in, and you'll reset the
breaker, and you're all set for another roll.  Got that?

Enjoy it.  It's quite quiet and very reliable.

If you haven't bought the hand grip, try to find one.  VERY handy.

Cheers!

David Young        | Experience gained varies directly
Victoria, CANADA   | with equipment ruined.