Subject: RE: [Leica] Telyt 280 F4.8
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:01:55 -0700 (PDT)

> I also still have a  400/5.6 Nikkor MF....  I have not
> shot that lens too
> much as yet.....

    Take the 400 out and shoot it off a "bean bag" or
sandbag taking the same care as an expert rifleman would
use.  I think the results will please you.

    I was given advice many years ago about selecting a
tripod.  It was to go to the store, ask for the longest,
heaviest telephoto that fits your camera, and mount them on
the tripod.  Be sure it is on solid floor, not carpet.  Aim
out a window or door at the farthest object clearly
visible.  While looking through the finder, tap the end of
the lens barrel.  If it moves, the tripod is not good
enough.

    The other method is " if your wife doesn't bitch about
how heavy it is when you ask her to carry it a block, it is
not heavy enough!"

    Now let us ask Doug H. for his comments.