Subject: [Leica] debunking an old idea
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 08:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

- --- John Collier <> wrote:
> Also:
>
> Clean the batteries and battery compartment contacts with
> an eraser.
>
> Clean the three gold contacts on the back door and body
> with an eraser.

  First, before anyone can question my qualifications:

  I have spent more than thirty years in the electronics
game.  Bench tech, sales, engineering tech, calibration
tech, service rep and on.

  Do not use erasers to clean electrical contacts.

  Yes, I know they are handy.  Yes, they can leave metal
  bright and shiny - FOR A WHILE!

  Rubber erasers are formulated with chemicals to try to
  preserve them from oxidation.  Remember the erasers that
  were hard and crumbly?  Those same preservatives tend to
  be corrosive and to leave a slight corrosive residue.

  That residue will then defeat the very effort you have
  made.

  Typewriter ( ink ) erasers are the worst.  Look inside an
  old typewriter and look at all the rust pits.

  Use the same care and consideration you would use on a
  lens.  Electrical contact cleaners are not very
expensive.
  I would suggest that and a cotton swab, or folded cloth,
  even paper towel or tissue. But not the "lotion" stuff.
  But do not use "tuner cleaner".  Some brands of that are
  also corrosive over the long term.

  When you consider the very low voltages and small current
  used in modern electronics, a very small amount of
  oxidation film equates to a relatively high resistance
  which can seriously affect accuracy.