Subject: Re: [Leica] No! No!, Erwin!
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:32:32 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Christopher Williams <LeicaChris@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:
> Like Pop Photography giving every lens they ever reviewed
> excellent ratings
> right? Do they ever give a bad review? No.

    Very few magazines ever print the review about a loser.
 Not good for the advertising, you know......

    No, you have to learn to read between the lines.  Does
not matter whether about cameras, stereo, cars or whatever.
 If it is a "Good Performer" you can translate that as
adequate.  As the superlatives increase, the performance
becomes better.

    I remember many years ago, "consumer retorts" did an
evaluation of SLRs.  They panned both Nikon and Leica.
Their criticism of Nikon was about "frequency of repair".
But they did nothing to explain that this was a pro camera
that might see use at the hundreds of rolls a week level.
Nor did they explain that the users might go for an annual
CLA just as routine maintenance, the same way a car needs
oil changes and tune-ups.  I have never held that
publication in high regard since.