Subject: Re: [Leica] Intermediate shutter speeds on Leitz mechanical shutters
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:47:07 -0600

The statements I "sometimes" have read are from Leitz. It is in my M2,
SL2 and M4-2 manuals. Can you get discrete one tenth stop steps? No but
reasonably close 1/3 and 1/2 stop steps are possible. This assumes that
a good Leica tech has set up the shutter to specs and not that someone
has "calibrated" the shutter by messing with the drum spring settings.

I have not tested it on a calibrated shutter tester but my chromes look
good.

Leica started recommending not to use the intermediate speeds with the
M6. The meter only works in whole stop steps.The Leicaflex, SL, SL2, M5
and the various M meters will meter the intermediate speeds. I do not
know if the CL can be used in the intermediate speeds.

The intermediate speeds cannot be used when the shutter is switching
from one gear train to another. For the M camera this is between 1/8 and
1/15, and between 1/30 and 1/60 (except for the marked 1/50) For the SL2
this is between 1/4 and 1/8, and between 1/30 and 1/60 (why not between
1/60 and 1/125 where the 1/90 flash sync is I do not know; perhaps a
typo in the manual).

John Collier