Subject: [Leica] Thanks and scanner recommendation
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

Michael:  Which 90 Elmarit did you get?  If it was the classic 90 Elmarit
from the 60s (long, skinny, probably chrome, weighs 11 oz/312g, takes 39mm
filters), then you got a good price.

If it is the current Elmarit-M, shorter, probably black, takes 46mm
filters (has E46 on the front ring), weighs about 14.5 oz/400g, built-in
sliding lens hood), then you got an absolutely fantastic price.

Both are excellent lenses.  The newer Elmarit is supposed to be as good as
the stellar 90 Asph/Apo, but one stop slower.  The older Elmarit is no
slouch--I think it's better than either of the later Tele-Elmarits.  You
probably wouldn't notice the difference between the two unless you use
very slow film and high magnification, or shoot wide open a lot.

Your Paw is a beautiful shot, but it has that "soot-and-chalk" look of
overdeveloped Tri-X.  This could be caused by overdevelopment, gross
overexposure, allowing too much of the whites to blow out in scanning, or
by grain aliasing.  Or some combination of these things.  Does your print
have the same problems?  If so, you may have to back off on development
time.  If your print looks smooth, try using a light grain reduction
filter in your scanner software, and don't let anyting but specular
highlights go above bare white on the scan.

Hope this is helpful,
- --Peter