Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks and scanner recommendation
From: Victor Tavernini <victor6@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:12:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Michael,

I haven't used the 1650, but ...

The Epson 2450 is awesome.  Use it to scan 35mm & MF
and the results are incredible.  I drive it with
Vuescan and haven't had any issues.  No perceptible
difference in scanning speed when using USB or
FireWire.  Comes with Photoshop Elements, which would
be cool except it only supports 24-bit color and not
48-bit color ... yuck.  Does come with a coupon that
lets you upgrade to Photoshop 6 or Photoshop 7 for
$299.  Paid $342 at buy.com and paid no sales tax or
shipping.

I still prefer my Canon FS2710 for 35mm negative
scanning.  It is a 2700dpi unit.  SCSI (it comes with
a PCI Adaptec SCSI card).  Also drive it using Vuescan
(no issues).  Nice unit that can be bought new from
B&H Photo for $299 + shipping.  Another good deal.

So, for 35mm neg only I'd give the node to the FS2710
as the best buy out there ... for 35mm, MF, LF &
general flat bed scanning, the 2450 can't be beat!

I think you really need at least 2400dpi ...
especially with 35mm where you only have a 1" x 1.5"
negative to begin with.

Regards,

Victor Tavernini