Subject: RE: [Leica] Has Leica ever offered a student discount program?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:55:49 -0400

I understand what you're asking Ted...:-)

Of course the depreciation will be far greater with the Bessa, but so will
the investment. The Bessa is, what, $550 for a brand new camera with some
modern features - which most students are used to and expect. The M6 in even
half decent shape will be $1000. It's true the student may succeed in
selling the M6 for $1000 two years later, but between the introduction of
the M7 and the on-rush of digital, who knows whether well used M6s will be
$1000 in two years, or $750 - and a $250 loss on the M6 would probably be
the same as the loss on a Bessa R2.

And here's another thing to think about, besides the fact that the student
may be able to afford the Bessa but not the M6 - the student who only
invests the $550 in the Bessa is likely to hang onto it longer, and
therefore has a greater likelihood of ultimately getting hooked, than the
student who has tied up $1000 in the M6. I can tell you that one of my
students who recently acquired a beatup M6 classic loves his, but is already
questioning whether he can afford to hang onto it what with rent coming due,
etc......

B. D.