Subject: [Leica] full time photogs
From: "Gumm, Jim" <Jim.Gumm@okdhs.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:29:16 -0500

Not only am I a photographer by trade, I am a 'full-time' photographer,
meaning that I work extra time in addition to my regular hours as a
photographer to make money to buy more irrelevant Leica gear.
Hey, Javier, my Leicas are not useless, I use an M-4 and a noctilux all the
time, in addition to  the 28 & 90 Leitz lenses, plus my F100 and its
attendant gear. Really one of my favorite outfits is an M camera and the
Noctilux and the F100 and the 85 f1.4 Nikkor. Really great combo.
I really need a faster wide. I am currently using a first generation
Canadian Elmarit, and its slow and not that great wide-open. I either want
the f2 Leica 28 or the Nikkor 28 f1.4. This would make for a nice kit which
wouldn't wear me out during a long day. and BTW, I'd feel lost without my M
around my neck.
In fact, I have been shooting the ACDA (commodities distribution) Nat'l Conf
here in OKC. Started Sunday and goes through Wednesday. Lots of shots for
newsletters, displays, web-sirtes, etc. It has been kind of boring but, I am
learning about things like irradiated meat, etc. Its here, or its coming
so.....
I feel extremely lucky that the vocation has singled me out. I think that I
have one of the best jobs in the world, doing what I want to do and managing
to eek a paycheck out of it. I just hang that useless M camera around my
neck, grab a couple of irrelevant lenses and go to work making images that
people like.
Jim Gumm