Subject: [Leica] digested stuff
From: "Gumm, Jim" <Jim.Gumm@okdhs.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:34:25 -0600

This message is bound to be about subjects of a day or so ago as I am
working from the digest.
Brad, the Yashinon Macro lens in praktica screwmount (originally, is that
correct?), is another fine lens. I have tested it against a Leitz 65 (late),
Canon FD 50, a Pentax 50 preset, 55 Micro Nikkor and the result was, it was
difficult to distinguish which lens was better among the Yashinon, the 65
Elmar and the Canon, I think that the Leitz lens was the best of the bunch
with the others just a tad less resoution and/or contrast. BTW, KEH has
Pentax macros for around $50. Tests weere shot on a Sickles copy stand (huge
girder) of a 2D macro subject to give a 1:1 8x enlargement. BTW, the Sickles
copy stand is for sale cheap, comes with 2 MB Holmbrik cameras one pin
registered, a bunch of 400 ft mags, control stand, instructions, everything.
Purchaser would want to be within driving distance of OKC because of the
weight. Absolutely a rock solid copy stand, motorized column and lights.
As to Vivitar 283's, they have a high trigger voltage, enough to possibly
damage a camera of modern vintage (electronics), I had to have my M3
repaired because the high trigger voltage corroded the platinum contacts in
the flash circuitry. I was told that this was unusual for a leica.
And, I dropped my Noctilux! On the Asphalt!. It landed on the back rim of
the bronze main casting, dinging it quite well. However the lens was
otherwise undamaged! Focus fine, aperture fine. Had it collomated and it
centered perfectly. Whew , it was like in slow-motion as it tumbled off of
my camera onto the pavement. I was reloading and I was in a hurry and I
accidentally pushed the lens release and a small twist and there it went.
This brings me to my biggest M Leica problem. I am frequently hitting that
darned button on my M4 and M2, my M3 has the collar so no problem. I need to
change my style of holding the camera, maybe with my fingers on the east
side of the self-timer. Thanks for a listen.
Jimbo