Subject: Re: [Leica] OT chuntering, was formerly on-topic
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:36:56 -0700

From: "John Brownlow" <john@johnbrownlow.com>
In otherwords it can mean either 'disprove' or 'deny'. This has clearly
diminished the power of the word, because if I now say that I can refute
someone's allegation that I am (say) a dickwad, people assume I am merely
denying it rather than disproving it.

Merriam-Webster and various other authorities have all diluted the word
similarly within the last 3-4 years, since the 1998 Websters still has
what, to my mind, remains the *real* meaning of 'refute'

Many years ago, in the process of buying a Leica 3G from an elderly
physician, he told me that if he could *realize*  XXXX amount for it he
would be satisfied.
It was the first time I had heard the word used to mean "receive" rather
than "be aware of". I was so exited by the definition that I set out to
research further definitions and etymology of the word and, as a
concequence, became an avid (and obsessed) amateur linguist.

Language changes constantly, mostly for the worse in part due to writers for
the media who try too hard to be clever (some would say hip).

I have collected a long list of linguistic abominations and axamples of
disdain for proper speach. Here is just one:

In 1958, as an immigrant of 8 months, while in US Air Force, I took a
literature course to expand my very limited vocabulary. I learned that a
river meanders and not wind to its destination. That something malfunctions,
not break down, and many other gems.
I tried to practice these wonderful new words at every occasion.
One day, the truck I was driving began to misfire and I drove it to the
motor pool for service. I greeted the grease monkey with a tortured cigar
with inch long ash drooping from it in his mouth with: "I say corporal, my
truck is malfunctioning".
He gave me a long and silent look, looked towards the truck, looked at me
again and said: "you mean it's all screwd up, don't you".

I postponed using "big" words until I became a civilian again.

Joseph Codispoti
San Luis Obispo, CA

P.S. I did buy the 3G from the good doctor.

Replies: Reply from "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net> (Re: [Leica] OT chuntering, was formerly on-topic)
Message from John Brownlow <john@johnbrownlow.com> ([Leica] OT chuntering, was formerly on-topic)