Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 heaven! :-) UPDATE.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:46:37 -0800

Dan Cardish wrote:
>>> If you are in the habit of simply matching the two arrows and the
shooting,
> then I would expect the M7 to give very similar (or better) results as
> compared with the M6.    Because that is all the AE in the M7 is doing for
> you.   But if you are in the habit (as I am) of metering with the M6 by
> selecting some part of the scene to use as a proxy for the meter, then I
> would expect the M7 to be cumbersome to use.<<<<

Hi Dan,
I don't ever look for anything else to meter on, unless I have the 15, then
all I do is point down to cut the amount of sky. Then bracket a few frames
and that's it.

With any other lens I'm looking at the light - eyes - action! And as soon as
it's right, which of course can be simply a fleeting moment of expression,
shutter goes click! Obviously no time to fiddle with another point of view
for a meter reading! Before that happens I've already metered while still
watching the subject and if necessary I see an arrow head change in density
I'm making an adjustment sometimes as I shoot.

But the main advantage of the M7AE is, it allows me the freedom to do
nothing more than concentrate on the subject with the occasional glance at
the shutter speed in the viewfinder without taking the camera from my eye.

And the glance is no more than a focus change of your eye, even then it
doesn't have to be sharp as the diode is comfortably bright to see even in
the brightest of light.

Flare of viewfinder?  NADA!

Sure there will be times where one's experience will override electronic
settings, that's a given, any experienced photographer knows that. But in
the big scheme of a fast paced or changing light - location situation the M7
should make shooting life more comfortable. With roll after roll of perfect
exposures.

So far what I've seen, I'm putting my money on this camera to become a front
running tool of the working pro. Yep to compliment whatever other tools and
manufacture he or she may use.

And I'd bet any full-time Leica user will make the switch and move the M6's
or whatever, to the "for sale sign," :-)

I don't see this becoming a cumbersome camera at all, I mean I walked around
from room to room, light levels to light levels without any more hesitation
than focusing and shooting! No fiddling, pick something, focus, shoot!
Similarly outside shadow to sunlight.

Absolutely no different than using an R8 !
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] M7 heaven! :-) UPDATE.)