Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica photos
From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:43:35 -0800

Hi Mark:

I did look at the pictures the first time you posted them, but I didn't
feel I should comment as I don't know the flower, and I don't do many
close-ups.

Anyway, for what it is worth, here are some suggestions and comments.

The picture of the flower is nice, but if you had filled it on the right
side with a little more light (perhaps using a white sheet or board) and
a little reflection from below (maybe some crumpled aluminum foil) it
would have more snap.  Also, I would have moved a little to the right to
get the light colored object in the bottom left corner out of the
picture.

The picture of the flower stem seems lost in the background -- maybe
here, too, you could have added some snap by backlighting it to help the
strands stand out.

The seed was interesting, but I think the focus should have been on the
forward part, not the rear portion.  Again, reflecting some additional
light from the upper right might have helped.

The picture of the blooms were very nicely backlighted.  But there was
too much of the patch and my eye went back and forth trying to find a
central point of interest.  It might have been a better picture if you
had just picked out one of the flowers (I think I would have used the
top one on the far right side) and shot it straight on rather than down.

I know that a lot of people do these using flash -- I haven't tried it
but it might be interesting for you to try it.

I am sure someone with more experience will give you better suggestions,
but I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Ted in Olalla