Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Digital darkroom - when isn't it photography?
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:55:41 -0800

on 3/24/02 1:08 PM, Jim Brick at jim@brick.org wrote:

> Once in Photoshop, well, the urge is there and 99% of the time,
> the print you are printing has been modified to where it is not
> representative of the original scene.

Jim, I think personal integrity matters more than the particular tool.  I
won't question the validity of your photos or ted's or tina's or a huge
number of LUGgers.  There are many photographers who have damaged or
destroyed the credibility of their images through digital manipulation but
it was mostly because they didn't acknowledge the computer manipulations.
Jerry Ulesman's photos are clearly manipulations but having done the
manipulations the hard way - under the enlarger - doesn't make them any less
manipulations.  It's the photographer who can or can't be trusted to make
honest images, not the tool.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com