Subject: Re: [Leica] Single Malt Scotch--shortage of Lagavullin!!!
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:37:35 -0500

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:33:35 EST, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 3/20/02 6:37:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>rpjohnson2@mindspring.com writes:
>
>> However, I ran across a reference to "double malt" whisky (and they were
>>  referring to what the heathen call "scotch").
>
>R.P.
>
>You may be referring to a "double cask" malt whisky that the Balvenie
>Distillery produces, moving their "single malt" whisky from a normal oak cask
>to an oak cask that has been used for the production of sherry.
>
>Seth   LaK 9

The same technique is used in the "Distiller's Edition" bottlings of the
six malts in the Classic Malts series from United Distillers (Lagavullin,
Talisker, Oban, Cragganmore, Glenkinchie and Dalwhinnie).  they are matured
once in their standard wood, then further matured in a different wood
selected by the master distiller to complement and enhance the character of
the whisky.

The 1984 Distiller's Edition Lagavullin is simply the best whisky I have
ever tasted, far surpassing any of the Macallans or Glenturrets.  A soaring
monument to the distiller's art.

Paul