Subject: [Leica] Re: Photographing x-ray film - how to?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:19:04 -0800

At 06:39 PM 3/20/2002 -0800, someone wrote:

>This Saturday I will be photographing various x-ray sheets for a client on
>Agfa Scala 200 b&w slide film with my Leica R8 and appropriate lenses. The
>x-ray sheets will be lit via a standard x-ray viewbox. Since the light will
>be emitted from behind the film, incident readings are impossible. Thus,
>having to use reflected readings, I must be assured of perfect exposures and
>am not certain how. Can anyone herein provide suggestions as to obtaining
>correct metering? Thanks in advance!
>
>Terry

This is a tough assignment. Years ago Kodak published a booklet on how to
photograph x-rays. The main emphasis was on pre exposing (flashing) the
film so it could record the fine gradations in the dark portions and
develop so that there is also detail in the light parts. A direct positive
film such as Kodak SO-132 film might be ideal as it, like Scala, produces a
positive image directly, has a long tonal range, and the contrast is
controlled by development time.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Amilcar de Oliveira <amilcar@domain.com.br> (Re: [Leica] Re: Photographing x-ray film - how to?)