Subject: [Leica] WAS: Robert Stevens Lighthouse NOW .. CARE AND CAUTION!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:50:19 -0800

Although some of you may have read this post elsewhere I feel it's worth
posting again if only for the safety of LUG members not aware that such
things exist by the seaside when all they're thinking about is... pretty
Leica pictures!
==============================

gentlemen and gentlewomen,
A word of caution!

A side note for the folks who do not live by the sea and don't know until
they're in the water and wondering if they'll see dry land again. Or, "Where
the hell is my Leica?"

Robert's shot of Peggy's Cove is a fine photo given the danger that lurks
nearby when you do not understand the ways of the sea. In the photo it looks
peaceful and serene, beautiful conditions, right?  Beautiful photograph.

Well out there in that vast ocean are "rogue waves" just looking for, well
OK not quite, but people standing nearby on the rocks or shore completely
unaware they are about to be picked up and swept away in the blink of a
shutter!

It's prudent when shooting by the ocean anytime to keep an eye at what's
going on towards the water, even more so, if the sea is running high. You
know those beauty waves that look wonderful as you capture them exploding on
the rocky crags.

There are stories of deep inland holidaying folks at the seaside enjoying a
wonderful look and picture taking at Peggy's Cove or like looking locations
when .... Sploosh!!!! They are in the sea struggling for their lives.

So take care out there my friends when you think it's just another pretty
lighthouse for your Leica to record. Let's not be reading any obit's here.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant