Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: re: Rapid Winders -TOTALLY ON TOPIC
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:58:15 -0500

- --On Monday, March 11, 2002 10:15 PM -0500 Austin Franklin
<darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> Leica put it there because it correctly deduced that there are morons out
>> there who are incapable of sliding the film up onto the sprockets and
>> making sure that the film is taking up properly before replacing the base
>> and going on to make pictures.
>
> Rolfe,
>
> I doubt Leica redesigned the film take up system because they thought more
> MORONS would buy the M6 simply because it had a basket that increased the
> speed and ease of loading the film.  MOST people who buy a Leica know what
> they are doing, and are hardly MORONs.  I doubt Leica would waste their
> time re-designing anything in the M or R series just for MORONs.  You
> obviously have a VERY low opinion of both Leica users as well as Leica.
> Think about that, Rolfe.  Even if you don't think about that, you could
> have made your point without the name calling.
>
> Austin

Easy Austin, lighten up!

I didn't suggest that Leica users were morons; in fact I regret the use of
that word and so stated in an earlier post. For the record, I merely
suggested that Leica must have thought Leica users were morons. :-)

But the fact is that the basket doesn't do anything to speed up the loading
and, in fact, if you are savvy enough to slide the flim up onto the
sprockets it can slow it down. That is why there are those of us who, when
supplied with a Rapidwinder without the basket, just leave it that way.
Because you can actually load faster without the damn thing.

As always, YMMV.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com