Subject: [Leica] Re: airport film check
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:30:59 -0600

Henry:

>But you as a bureaucrat
>ought to know that in this small issue of the rights
>to have your film hand-inspected is a far-cry from a
>cop beating up someone in the inner city ghettos.

And a cop beating somebody up is a far cry from taking a political prisoner
out back and executing him because of what he said.  So maybe we should just
ignore the first.

You can always find worse infractions.

There are bigger problems in the world than film going through xray.  World
hunger, for one.  But ya know what?  Having my film zapped--when the law
says I may request that it isn't--isn't going to help any starving children.
Being a sheep and bleating peacefully as I allow my rights to be stripped
won't solve any of the larger issues.

Either the law is the law or it isn't.  I believe that a democracy based on
law is better than anarchy.

If you're out photographing with your Leica (aha!  back on topic :) and a
policeman tries to confiscate your gear, would you just roll over and write
it off as one of those things?  After all, your asserting your rights won't
help end global warming or keep the cops from physically abusing someone in
section 8 housing.

It's a slippery slope.  Where do we draw the line?  I suggest the line
should be our laws.  If we don't like the laws, then let's work to change
them.

Eric

Message from Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: airport film check)